[iTunes] Lost Contents of Playlists

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Wed Dec 1 12:01:10 PST 2004

William Hill typed this message on 12/1/04 2:49 PM:

> I recently had to re-format my hard drive. When I loaded up everything
> from my back-up, although the titles of my play lists came back, the
> songs that they contained did not. I have all of the songs. My
> question: where in the back-up files would I find the play list
> contents?

The iTunes folder is found in your Music folder which is in your user
folder. What has happened is that the path info to your iTunes music folder
somehow got fudged.

What you can do is get iTunes to do a "Consolidate" Music command (under the
Advanced Menu). It then goes through your entire hard drive and transfers
all your music anywhere it can find it to iTunes. Or you could do an Import
from the File menu and pick the iTunes folder through the Open/Save dialog.

Or, finally you could just navigate with the Finder to your iTunes folder
and do a drag and drop of the folder on the iTunes application.

After doing this, it would be wise to have iTunes eliminate duplicates.

jg