[iTunes] File Converting

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Wed Dec 8 01:05:37 PST 2004

On 12/8/04 3:35 AM, "TDK" <kearn at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Was wondering about 'loss' during a music file conversion.
> For example, if I buy a song at the iTunes store (AAC format) and
> convert it to a 'regular' format (AIFF - which is the only one my car
> cd player reads) is there any 'loss' of the music during the converting?
> Wasn't sure because it is all 'digital'.

There's no loss in that direction - the loss occurs when the music is
compressed. What happens when you go in the other direction is that the
compressed music does not contain all the information of the original. So it
will sound like the compressed version; in most cases, you'll never notice
the difference.

Kirk

                  Forthcoming book: iPod & iTunes Garage
      Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France