[iTunes] Very new to this

Wesley Hall wesley at mac.com
Thu Dec 30 13:38:52 PST 2004

On Dec 29, 2004, at 2:52 PM, Rick Schwitzer wrote:

> Samantha, you open up another topic.  I don't currently own an iPod.  I
> have a nice distributed home stereo system and also in both cars and
> boat.
> I am too old to be wearing headphones around on trains, buses and in
> Starbucks so I have not seen the true need for me for an iPod.  But if
> that
> is a simple and effective way to store and catalog my current (I have
> approximately 300 CDs of which only half of which I would actually
> want to
> store) and future downloaded music then I am an certainly open to
> acquiring
> one.  My question is how do you connect your iPod to your home system
> and
> car systems?  Will it be in true stereo sound with one plug or actually
> mono?

Connecting to your home stereo is easy.
In the back of the dock that comes with the newer iPods is a stereo out
mini-jack.
I have a mini-jack to Left/Right stereo cable from Monster Cable that
connects to my "Tape" input on my home stereo.  That works great.
I also use a Navi-Pod so that I have a remote controlled iPod that
plays through my music system.

iPods in the car are a bit of a different story.
If you have a car stereo with an auxillary stereo input then your in
luck and can directly connect the iPod via the stereo headphone out to
the car.  If not, then you need a Griffin Technology iTrip to send an
FM signal to your car.
Or, worse sound quality, one of those cassette adapters that plugs into
your car's cassette deck.

> Per your other comment.  Can I browse the songs on iTunes without
> paying
> for the service and see if I want to join?

In the iTunes Music Store there is a 30 second preview of the songs
that you can check out the quality but doesn't play the whole song. For
audio books there is a 1 minute 30 second preview.

Wesley