Deauthorizing a computer

Brian Thorpe brithor52 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 11 19:55:47 PST 2004

If you clone a drive for backup purposes and you have to switch to the
backup drive for all your needs, but you didn't deauthorize the "now
unused" hard drive, the unused hard drive still counts as on authorized
computer, right?

I also take it that there is absolutely no way to deauthorize a
computer without actually connecting that computer to the internet and
issuing the command.

I had planned to erase and re-format the unused drive. It has a volume
for OS and apps, and a volume for data storage. The OS partition must
be cloned from the currently used drive, then I must boot up from the
old one and upon starting iTune, I must de-authorize it and then
proceed with my plans to erase it.  Otherwise it will always be listed
on Apple's server as an authorized unit.

That's a real pain in the butt. I'd think that a better solution might
be to have a command that allowed you to de-authorize all currently
authorized computers for a specific account. That would require all
computers using iTunes to check with the iTunes Music Store whenever
they are connect to the internet.

This situation kind of pushes me in the direction of burning audio CDs
of all my purchased music and then ripping it back to AAC unprotected
or MP3 format.

Thanks for any advise you can offer.

brian