Hi Fi quality

Wilson Ng wilsonng at mail.com
Mon Jul 26 00:45:08 PDT 2004

You gain no advantage by converting from MPEG to AIFF. It is better for you
to copy from the original CD to iTunes with AIFF. You may also consider
using Apple Lossless Encoder because it does not compress the sound wave but
it creates audio files that are 50-60% smaller than AIFF without losing
sound integrety.

I often use 192 kbps AAC without too much headaches for a decent hi-fi
stereo. At 192, I have to really sit down and look for the differences. Of
course, you have to have ears like a cat or dog to really be picky about
your music. If you are very picky, just use Apple Lossless.

On 7/26/04 3:49 PM, the Defendant "iTunesList"
<iTunes at lists.themacintoshguy.com> said:

> Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 21:58:01 +0200
> Subject: Hi Fi quality
> From: Footie <footie at hunter.cz>
>

> Greetings to you all from Prague
>
> I am a very recent convert to I-Tunes, and have never downloaded music
> files. Mainly because we don't have broadband here yet; and I have just
> joined the list. I would appreciate advice regarding the optimisation of
> sound quality when burning CDs, and please assume and forgive my zero
> technical understanding of the issues involved.
>
> I'd be interested to hear from those who burn CD's to play on a decent hi-fi
> system. I have copied a load of my CD's in the MPEG format, and since learnt
> that AIFF format gives much better quality when burning to CD. I have also
> discovered that you can reconvert MPEG files to AIFF. So my question is, in
> terms of sound quality, if you convert a song from MPEG to AIFF, and then
> burn to a CD, will I get the same quality result as if I had stored the song
> in I-tunes initially as an AIFF file.?
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice and sorry if my question sends lots of
> eyebrows raising to heavens!
>
> Richard Hunt

:-)  Wilson - Guam, U.S.A.

- - - P L E A S E   C U T   A L O N G   D O T T E D   L I N E - - -
You can bend my ear
We can talk all day
Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say.  -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET