iTunes and my Iomega Zip CD 650

Bob Salsburg info.res at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 27 15:05:23 PDT 2004

I have the older Iomega USB Zip CD 650 drive on an iMac 400 Graphite SE
400. It had difficulties under 9.2.2 about 3 years ago and would
successfully burn about 1 out of 3 CDs. Oftentimes it would freeze so
bad that I had to cycle power on the iMac.

When I went to OS X, I had the same problem; it wasn't until 10.3 that
an error message and a recoverable condition was encounter. That is the
dreaded "buffer underrun protection" error. Once received, the CD is
kaput.

Iomega doesn't supply a driver for this or most of its CDRW drives
since OS X now provides support for most if not all devices.

The situation now is that I can't burn anything except Data CDs without
Buffer underrun. I have found on various places on the web that this
drive doesn't have any on-board memory to protect against this
condition, leaving me with a Catch-22 - a drive that is supported, but
will not work with the current OS and version of iTunes.

For now, I can successfully burn all the Audio and MP3 CDs I want using
iTunes 4.6 on my Windows 2000 box with a Samsung drive. But, ya know...
I just don't want to do that. Makes me feel dirty.

Any recommendations for a good, external Drive that works flawlessly?

Bob