[iTunes] Converting single itms tracks

benaccetto at mac.com benaccetto at mac.com
Thu Jun 23 11:22:41 PDT 2005

Presently, I am playing back music purchased from the itunes music
store in two places - on my personal desktop Mac, which syncs to my
iPod and a music server in my house that makes music accessible for
playback on my TiVo's using the Home Media Option. Music on my
personal Mac is stored in the native AAC format. However on my
server, I have to store the music in mp3 format so that the TiVo HMO
can play back the music.

Typically, to transfer music from AAC on my personal Mac, I burn them
out to a CD and then reimport them to the music server as mp3 files.
I have been doing this for months with great success. When I load the
burned CD onto the server, CDDB automatically finds the ID tags and
applies them.

However, I have a number of single songs that I have purchased from
the itms. I want to put them on the server. The problem is that when
I burn a CD, the CD cannot be referenced on CDDB and the CD comes up
without any titles, requiring me to manually enter all of the info
(including the cover art). To complicate matters, protected AAC files
cannot be converted to mp3.

Has anyone come up with a way to transfer individual AAC files to mp3
and keep all of the info?