[iTunes] iPod newbie X's 2

cheshirekat cheshirekat at pobox.com
Thu Nov 30 19:59:25 PST 2006

On Sun, Oct 15, 20069:35 PM, the following words from John
simplymail at ururk.com, emerged from a plethora of SPAM ...

>On Oct 15, 2006, at 9:11 PM, John wrote:
>
>>> I don't know what other options I have
>>> for synching music to my iPod, (including many protected AAC files I
>>> purchased from the iTMS) without USB 2.0 which the specs from
>>> Apple say
>>> is required for the new iPods. However, Apple doesn't sell any PCMCIA
>>> adapters that I can find. Nor have I found any other means of getting
>>> 2.0 functionality to my PowerBook.
>
>Also, just realized there *may* be some confusion here.
>
>USB 2.0 peripherals are backwards compatible with USB 1.1 on you Ti.
>However, the speed on USB 1.1 is slow, and will take forever to sync
>your music the first time. However, on subsequent synching(s), the
>time to sync won't be horrible if you are not syncing more than an
>album or two.
>

>I bought the apricorn PCMCIA card not for my iPod, but for my Canon
>20D. Constantly trying to offload photos or shoot tethered was
>terribly terribly slow on the USB 1.1 bus. Having USB 2.0 was a plus
>when I upgraded to a 5g a year ago!
>
>John

I got the impression/confusion from the iPod requirements from Apple's
site. I haven't seen anywhere that USB 2.0 is optional.

With that in mind, my iPod arrived yesterday - I bought the 80Gig for
myself and I totally LOVE it. I decided not to buy another PCMCIA card,
but the first sync took several hours. (This is the reason I buy Memory
Sticks less than a 1G for my Sony camera.). But the anticipation was
overwhelming while I watched iTunes transfer the files to my iPod. So I
decided to buy a new Mac soon instead of adding more peripherals to my
PowerBook.

I guess I'll have to plan ahead when I make my first movie purchase from
the iTMS. It helps to know that I will have 2.0 speed in the near
future. Thanks for letting me know that the 1.1 would work.