[iTunes] New MacBook - transferring playlists?

Michael Prete michaelprete at cox.net
Sat Sep 16 17:10:05 PDT 2006

Al Byrne wrote:
> G'morning list folks!
>
> This week I'm in the process of transitioning from my trusty 12" Powerbook
> to a shiny new MacBook.
>
> I have already copied the 12g of contents from the Music folder on the PB to
> the corresponding folder on the new computer.  Is there an easy way to
> transfer all of my playlists (normal and smart playlists) to the new
> machine?

If you have actually moved the Music folder, it should contain all the
data necessary for all your playlists. The folder I'm referring to is
the Music folder contained within your Home Folder(with your name). My
Music folder contains two folders: Garage Band and iTunes. The iTunes
folder contains two folders (Album Artwork and iTunes Music) and two
other items: iTunes Music Library.xml and iTunes Library. Those two
folder and two items are all iTunes needs to create the same playlists
from old computer to new.

> Similarly, guidance on deauthorising my iTunes Music Store account from the
> old machine, and re-authorising on the new one would be appreciated.

I have the latest version 7.0 of iTunes. In that version, go to the
overhead menu named "Store". The drop down menu will offer "Authorize
computer" and "Deauthorize computer".

--

Michael Prete