[iTunes] Transferring Library

joAnn ortiz ask_alice at mac.com
Sat Sep 23 08:56:17 PDT 2006

Hi Ron,

If you have your actual music files on an external drive there are 2
things you want to do. 1) if you want to preserve your playlists &
such you need to grab what's in your iTunes folder that is nested in
your home folder. I am not clear what versions of iTunes you are
running, sounded like 4? So grab everything in there 2) You mentioned
that you are storing your music on an external drive - this implies
somewhere other than the home folder. If that is the case, you need
to copy your music from that iTunes folder into your new computer
Home Folder: Music:iTunes:iTunes Music. Note the naming convention.
That last folder is the one that houses your music files. You can do
this 2nd step manually  if you would like OR mount your external
drive and select Consolidate Library from iTunes. (This is insurance
in my opinion - iTunes will scan the drive & copy all music files
into you new iTunes Music folder.)

Best,

joAnn