[iTunes] Blocking iTunes Sharing

Michael Prete michaelprete at cox.net
Wed Apr 11 01:08:31 PDT 2007

SE wrote:
> Several employees are breaking the rules and sharing their iTunes
> libraries over the Novell network.
>
> I know I need to go to System Preferences and disable Port 3689. Does
> anyone know where in the System Preferences I do this? I looked in the
> Sharing area but did not see a place to block a port.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you want to block your computer from sharing your iTunes music, just
go to iTunes Preferences>Sharing and uncheck all boxes. Its not
necessary to disable ports.

If you insist, you can go to System Preferences>Sharing and choose the
Firewall tab. Scroll through the list until you find iTunes music
sharing and make sure that box is *not* checked either. That disables
the port on your software firewall.

Your IT admin would have to close the Port 3689 for your LAN, but that
would seem highly redundant after the settings described above.
--

Michael Prete