[iTunes] My hard drive crashed and my library and music are gone

Michael Prete michaelprete at cox.net
Sat Aug 25 12:03:24 PDT 2007

Jeff Bernstein wrote:
> I'm sure this come up before, so excuse me if this is a dumb or
> repetitive question.  For the first time in over 20 years of using
> computers I had a hard drive crash.  The funny thing is it happened
> just as I was setting up a new 1TB NAS drive to back up my 300MB
> external that had all of my music and my iTunes library on it.

I am sorry you have lost so much, but I am incredulous that you have
been using computers for 20 years but didn't have a backup. The newer
versions of iTunes now even nag you to backup your library.

> I have an iPod with about 75GB on it and no library or music on my
> computer.  To add to the problem, I believe that I did not change the
> iPod back to manual sync after my last sync, but I'm not certain.  I
> am very fearful that a misstep will cause the iPod to get wiped out.
> Any suggestions about how to salvage what is on my iPod and re-create
> my iTunes library from the iPod would be much appreciated.  I'm
> running 10.4.10 on an Intel machine with iTunes 7.3.2.  Thanks in
> advance!

You will need to download some software that allows you to bypass
Apple's copy right restrictions. Senuti is one such application. Others
include http://macs.about.com/od/ipod/a/copy_from_ipod.htm

Just enter "transfer songs from iPod" into Google and you will get lots
of hits.

--

Michael Prete