[iTunes] infinite loop download of Stargate TV episodes

Maretta Holden marettah at qwest.net
Tue Dec 25 22:07:23 PST 2007

Help!

Recently I purchased TV Season 1 of Stargate SG-1, logged into the
iTunes store to download the episodes to my PowerBook G4/1.67 running
iTunes 7.5 under Mac OS X 10.4.11, and left the downloads running
overnight. When I returned in the morning I found all the episode
downloads complete but multiple episodes were being re-downloaded,
filling up my hard drive. I was unable to cancel individual redundant
downloads or delete the extras from within iTunes and had to quit
iTunes with downloads in progress.

I deleted the redundant files in the Finder, performed my usual
maintenance operations with AppleJack, restarted, and launched iTunes
which immediately began duplicate downloads once again. I then tried
moving my iTunes plists to another location and re-launched iTunes
which immediately resumed duplicate downloads.

I suspect that this problem is at least partly an iTunes Store
problem. When I launch iTunes on my PB/G4, it apparently checks the
Store for purchases to download, something may not been set to
indicate that the Stargate SG-1 Season 1 episodes have already been
downloaded, and downloading begins again.

The net result is I cannot leave iTunes open thus cannot listen to
music or watch the downloaded TV episodes.

I submitted an online problem report to the iTunes Store support team
but their response was that that they only deal with purchase issues
and suggested that I look elsewhere for technical answers.

Note that I had previously purchased Stargate SG-1 Season 10 and
iTunes downloaded the relevant episodes once. I also purchased
Stargate Atlantis Season 4 (current) and download each new episode
when made available after broadcast.

- Maretta