[iTunes] multiple libraries on different disks

Michael Prete michaelprete at cox.net
Wed Jan 2 21:17:33 PST 2008

On Jan 2, 2008, at 10:05 AM, henri wrote:

> On a macbook with 120G HD, still running Tiger.
> I have iTunes folder on a different partition and thought I had
> plenty of room, until I got into podcasts.
> I've used the built-in ability to have multiple libraries but that
> doesn't make a new music folder I could put on an external USB
> drive, it does it with the index or something in the one iTunes
> folder.

I don't understand what you are saying here. You can make multiple
iTunes libraries in different locations. Each iTunes library will
contain various folders it requires to organize and manipulate the
songs and albums. Just create a whole new library on your USB drive
or wherever and then move the selected music (or podcast) tracks to
the library and don't worry about indexes.

> I want to have another library or two on different drives. Do I
> need to run multiple copies of iTunes for each location

nope.

> or is there a library managing app that would allow me to run one
> iTunes and access multiple libraries on different drives?

iTunes already has that capability built in. You might look in iTunes
Help, enter  "multiple libraries" and follow the directions. Here is
a little copy and paste from that:

To create or use a different iTunes library: