[iTunes] Changing audio book files to appear in "Audiobooks"

Dale Shera dshera at mac.com
Wed Nov 12 21:49:56 PST 2008

On Nov 12, 2008, at 10:53 PM, Michael Prete wrote:

> I purchased the first book of Philip Pullman's "Dark Materials"
> trilogy, downloading it from the iTunes store. Those files appear
> under the "Audiobooks" section of the "Library. Today I just ripped
> the 12 disks of the second volume of this trilogy from CD's I
> borrowed from the library. However, those files  do not appear in
> the "Audiobooks" section under "Library". Even though I've changed
> the Genre to "Audio Books", they remain in "Music" rather than
> "Audiobooks". Is there a way to alter the file name so that both the
> digitally downloaded and the imported from CD files all appear
> together under the "Audiobooks" section?

Altering the file name is unnecessary.

Do this: Select all of the files that want to turn into "Audiobooks".
Go to the 'File' menu and select 'Get Info'. You'll get a question
saying, "Are you sure you want to edit information for multiple
items?", click "Yes". Click on the 'Options' tab. Click the empty box
beside 'Media Kind' (this will put a check mark in that empty box),
click the pop-up menu beside the box that currently reads 'Music' and
change it to 'Audiobooks', click 'OK' and you're done. Your Audiobook
will now show up in your 'Audiobooks' playlist.

> Secondly, I have noticed that nearly every time I insert a disk, I'm
> asked to confirm which of several alternatives is correct, the
> correct listing appears very briefly on screen and then disappears.
> I must then eject the disk and reinsert it to have it finally begin
> to import properly. Anyone experienced this or know of a fix?

Nope. I've been lucky enough to miss that aggravation.

Dale