[iTunes] iTunes preventing additions to play lists from library

Scott Stamper slstamper at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 17 06:13:27 PDT 2008

Hey All,

I'm hoping you can give me a hand.

This morning I tried to create a play list from my library. When I
tried to add certain albums to the list, they would not drop onto the
playlist icon, and all of the tunes involved have exclamation points
next to them. I've never understood how/where to interpret the
exclamation points when I've seen them. All of the tunes I'm trying to
move into the playlist have been ripped from my cd's.  If I double
click on any of the tunes involved, they will play. Smart Playlists
seem to be working.

I have not experienced the exclamation points until I had my library
transferred to a Time Capsule, which I'm using as an NAS, as well as
for it's backup functions. I have the Capsule hardwired via Ethernet.

What's strange about this is that I have successfully created a
playlist or two since my system conversion, but now I don't seem to be
able to.

My music library lived in a hot rodded G3 with 1.6 terrabytes of
memory. In order to make my OS current, I'm now using a Mac Mini as my
main "head" unit with the Time Capsule as an NAS. Everything that was
in the G3 was either moved into the Mini, or the Capsule. My music
library lives on the Capsule. The Capsule seems to be functioning
correctly otherwise.

My tech who help with all this was concerned that he didn't update the
iTunes that came with the OS 10.5.5 disc first, before migrating my
music library. He realized this might be a problem after he already
made the migration.

Any ideas? I'm stumped.

Scott