[iTunes] downloading podcasts - again.

Becca becca_price at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 6 08:12:52 PST 2009

--- On Fri, 2/6/09, Ken Stevens <kestevens at mac.com> wrote:

> I see the problem but I don't know how to fix it.  I
> just tried the clock change trick and changed the download
> time.
> I then quit iTunes and changed the clock back to the
> correct time.  When I opened iTunes again it had set the
> download time for 3 hours from now.  I will be going to an
> Apple store in the next couple of weeks, I will ask the
> genius.

thank you!

> I guess the clock change trick doesn't work.  You might
> have to set your alarm and click the "Refresh"
> button
> when it is actually 3 am.  I have had success in iTunes
> holding the correct download time when I did this.

what gets me is that iTunes held the correct time for a couple of weeks, then went back to refreshing the podcasts whenever I plugged the iPod in, or ... well, pretty much when ever it felt like it, it seems.

The other problem with the clock change trick is that I'd have to click Refresh once I've reset the computer clock, and that means I'd be doing a download slug outside the magic hours of 3am-6am.

> The program I recommended works great.  It turned on the
> Mac Mini at 4am , recorded the TV show and turned
> it off at 5am.  The only problem I see with the solution I
> suggested is that when you fire up your computer during the
> day it will launch iTunes.  Unless we can solve the problem
> of automatically downloading when iTunes starts
> you would have to manually stop the downloads at that time.
>  Sorry, I will let you know if I find anything.

this is being very frustrating.

Of course, the whole problem would go away if our ISP didn't have such restrictive limitations on bandwidth usage. (and this is one of the things that's keeping me from getting into ebooks - if I have trouble downloading audiobooks, how much more trouble would I have downloading ebooks?)

-becca