[iTunes] I hate iTunes 8

Becca becca_price at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 8 09:36:30 PST 2009

for the record, I'm on a PC running Windows XP.

I stayed up til 3 last night so I could set iTunes to download my podcasts in the middle of the night - we have satellite internet, and get penalized for downloads during the day by having them drop us back to dialup (or slower) speeds for 24 hours after we download more than a certain (very low) amount during 24 hours. The time between 3 and 6 am doesn't count.

when I got up this am to check, iTunes was unresponsive, and I had to completely reboot my computer. Now, when I open iTunes, it opens as if a totally new download, with the Genius bar turned on and no library attached - and I had a huge lot of playlists with audiobooks and music! I can't turn off the Genius bar, and when I try to run the diagnostics, iTunes freezes again, and I have to forcibly end it using ctrl-alt-del.

looks like I"m going to have to totally uninstall iTunes and reinstall it... again, at 3am, to avoid the download hit. What a pain!

does anyone know of a safe site to download old versions of iTunes? I didn't have half these problems with iTunes 7 that I'm having with 8. I know there's an apple site where one can download old versions of iTunes, but I can't find it by googling.

-becca