[iTunes] moving iTunes from one mac to another

joAnn ortiz ask_alice at mac.com
Tue Nov 3 08:21:31 PST 2009

I would experiment by backing up my preferences & xml files and then
do the following:

Leave your music on the external as you intend to. Determine which xml
files etc. are current. External or Mini. Copy those as well as
any .plist files associated w/iTunes that reside on your Mini.
Naturally make sure your external is visible & mounted to your MBP.
Once the items are copied launch iTunes & see what you have. Worse
case scenario it doesn't work but you have everything still working on
your Mini. I want to say the only issue I ever had w/that was that I
had to redirect the paths to where the music was once, but it found
everything (including ratings, etc. after that.) I also used to keep
everything on an external.

Sorry, but like I said, it's been a while since I have done this, but
I used to do it all the time both in order to mirror my library & have
an updated backup right down to the play counts, ratings, date added,
etc. Come to think of it, all you may need to do is copy over
the .plist and be done with it. Personally I never had any luck with
the export feature - but that could just have been me...

Whatever you end up doing, I'd love to hear what gives you success.
Please post your results.

joAnn

www.flydragonconsultiing.com