[iTunes] iTunes 9 falls short

Dale Shera dshera at mac.com
Tue Sep 29 00:32:37 PDT 2009

On Sep 28, 2009, at 4:16 PM, Louis wrote:

> It's simply this: In Preferences/Advanced/Importing one had the
> option in Tunes 7 of importing CDs with or without track numbers.
> Tunes 8 and 9 eliminates this option and shoves track numbers in
> your face whether ya want 'em or not. This means that when storing
> songs externally, they're not listed by name alphabetically, but by
> their original track numbers associated with the CDs they came from.
> Stewwww pid.... This forced you to organize your library by having
> all track 01 songs clumped together from different albums, then all
> track 02 songs, etc. etc.

I'm having trouble seeing the issue here. Why would you want to 'store
songs externally' anyway? That kind of defeats the purpose of Apple's
"ease of use", doesn't it? It appears to me that iTunes rips/stores
things in a pretty responsible way. It puts the iTunes Music folder in
your Music folder; sorts things in folders by Artist; then by Album;
then by track in the order that it appears on the album. Pulling
things manually out of this folder structure is not the way iTunes is
intended to work.

> This is not only awkward but just plain annoying. And dumb.
>
> iTunes 9 badly needs an update: users need to opt out of the
> dictatorship of storing by track numbers.

Overstate things much?

Anyway, a Google search yielded these results:

On Windows:
http://www.technipages.com/itunes-for-windows-disable-track-numbers-on-imported-cds.html

On a Mac, download this donationware script, install and configure it
to remove the first three characters of the filename and then run it
on your library:
http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=removenchars

Hopefully, one of them will get you closer to what you are looking for
in your music app. Good luck.

Dale