[iTunes] Importing Screwed Up Without Warning

Michael Prete michaelprete at cox.net
Tue Mar 16 01:24:24 PDT 2010

On Mar 15, 2010, at 1:47 AM, Kirk McElhearn wrote:

> On Mar 15, 2010, at 1:30 AM, Scott Stamper wrote:
SNIP
>> This time, however, instead of automatically retrieving the track
>> names, album name and artist, etc, I had to use the Get Info
>> commands and enter the information manually. I tried importing an
>> old cd that I had previously imported without a problem, and my Mac
>> Mini didn't recognize it, either.
>
> Maybe the CD is not in the Gracenote database that gets checked.
> Have you never had that happen? Happens to me often, but I guess it
> depends on what kind of music you buy.

In fact, iTunes has an option to "Submit CD Track Names", right below
"Get CD Track Names" in recognition of the fact that the data base
doesn't have every CD ever made.

>> I've always had my Preferences set in iTunes to "import cd, then
>> eject", which has always worked in the past.
>>
>> Is my iTunes Preferences file trashed? And if this is the problem,
>> what's the least painful way to remedy it. Run AppleJack? Throwing
>> the file away (I'm not sure where it lives) and restarting?
>
> "Run AppleJack?" And how is that supposed to fix anything? AppleJack
> is no miracle tool...

Scott asked previously if his preference files might be corrupted (he
said "trashed"). And AppleJack does, in fact, verify preference files
( .plist ) and isolate those suspected to be corrupt. So it is quite
logical to run AppleJack to deal with the possibility that Preference
Files are corrupt. AppleJack also performs 4 other functions that are
frequently useful as well: Disk Repair, Permissions Repair, clear
cache files and swap file removal.

Michael Prete

More will be revealed.