[iTunes] apple support isn't what it used to be

Dale Shera dshera at mac.com
Mon May 9 21:50:41 PDT 2011

On May 9, 2011, at 10:17 AM, Becca wrote:

> right now I'm so pissed at apple support I could spit. I can't mount my ipod.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1363?viewlocale=en_US

iPod: Appears in Windows but not in iTunes

> The case has 3 numbers that might be serial numbers, but the automated support questionnaire doesn't recognize any of them as valid serial numbers,

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1459

iPod: How to find the serial number

> and the type is abot 2 point which makes it way too small for me to easily read..

http://www.microsoft.com/enable/training/windowsvista/webzoom.aspx

To zoom in or out on a Web page:
Click the Magnifying glass icon at the bottom right corner of the Internet Explorer window. Or, select the arrow to open the list of options and select one.
To zoom in or out on a Web page:
Press CTRL + PLUS SIGN (+) to zoom in, or CTRL + HYPHEN (-) to zoom out.

> When I do get a support person, they direct me to a web page that is trying - for 13 minutes now - to download something... a video? I can't tell... that is supposed to help me, but since it won't download I can't tell. and the stupid message tree doesn't recognize anything beyond answers that don't apply to the situation.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Re-download and re-install iTunes.

> All I want is simple, explicit directions for doing a complete deep uninstall and reinstall of iTunes.

A quick Google search reveals this URL when searching for "complete uninstall itunes windows xp":

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1925

Removing and Reinstalling iTunes, QuickTime, and other software components for Windows XP

> I can't even talk to a human being to express my frustration.

It's not  at all necessary to talk to somebody at Apple.

http://www.apple.com/support/contact/

Click on the link labeled:

Use Express Lane to connect with an expert in Apple Support

However, if you desire to talk to somebody:

http://www.apple.com/support/contact/

Contact Apple Support

Second phone number on list:

U.S. iPhone technical support: 1-800-MY-IPHONE (1-800-694-7466)

> Last time this happened, a few years ago, I went directly to a person who walked me through the process. This is NOT an improvement.

Hmmmmm,

> makes me want to abandon all my ipods for some place with decent customer service.

Sony, SanDisk, Coby, Microsoft, maybe?

> Trouble is, the only place I know is Amazon, and they don't have mp3 players, only the Kindle.

Amazon has 4 pages of mp3 players--not including Apple gear!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mp3+player&sprefix=mp3+player&x=0&y=0

Believe me, I understand all about getting upset about malfunctioning electronics. But, all of the information required to fix the problems you encountered was very easily found by employing a search engine. It took me 5 minutes to come up with these. Besides, this email list has a lot of good knowledgeable resources subscribed to it. Isn't that why we're all here?

Dale