Cube fan install NIGHTMARE

Joel Pelletier joelp at joelp.com
Fri Dec 6 09:42:58 PST 2002

I attempted the fan install into my Cube as descried on many sites (I
have a 64MB nVidia card in the machine, with a rather loud little
fan, and was hoping to disconnect it and run a larger, quieter one on
the bottom of the unit). I aquired a couple of Panaflo 80x80x15mm
fans, but the faster model than the one generally mentioned. I found
that this model at 5-6 volts was REALLY quiet, and still pushed a
good amount of air. I carefully opened the Cube, pulled out the DVD
and HD, and inserted the fan into its mounts (this method requires
only 2 of the 4 screws for the fan, but you don't have to take the
whole thing apart). I didn't have the proper connector to power it
off the DC card, so instead I tried option 2 - a "Y" adapter off the
DVD drive power source. I tapped into the 5V lead off the Y adapter
for the fan (along with one of the grounds) and hooked it up to the
fan. I reassembled the unit, slid it back in the case, and plugged in
the power supply.

Immediately, all of the red "status" lights inside the bottom of the
Cube lit up (I never powered it up), and it started to SMOKE!

Ouch.

I have disconnected everything (fan, HD and DVD) and tried this again
- same results. I am visiting another Cube owner and experienced tech
today to see what I burned out. If it's the motherboard, perhaps now
is the time to get that 1gz board. If it's more (and much worse) it's
time to decide to either buy another Cube (either stripped, or with
as little in it as possible, selling off the good components of my
dearly departed), or take the plunge and buy a Titanium Powerbook.

Besides the "are you stupid," "you got what you deserve," etc.,
comments, any ideas on what could have gone wrong, and where I might
find the individual component boards and/or another cheap Cube
without RAM/HD/DVD/video card would be much appreciated.

Joel Pelletier
http://www.joelp.org