CPU upgrade < Gaming

mentholiptus mentholiptus at mac.com
Sat Dec 21 13:38:36 PST 2002

"OWC --  PowerLogix PowerForce Series 100 G4/1GHz (1000MHz) Upgrade
with 2MB Cache for Apple G4 Cube Models. 2yr PowerLogix Warranty.
(PLGPFG41000C) ......$599"

Now THAT is a much better price! All my $$$ is spent (for the next few
months) on x-mas gifts, but by the time I can afford these again, I'm
sure they'll be even cheaper!

The main reason I was going to upgrade was for games...but I bought a
Game Cube for $125 instead, along with Metroid Prime (coolest game
ever!!!), Star Wars: Bounty Hunter, Star Wars: Jedi Knight 2, Mortal
Kombat: Deadly Alliance, Maddens 2003, and already pre-ordered Zelda:
the Wind Waker all for less than the 800MHz upgrade (rebates, free
controllers, free carrying case, and $70 worth of discounts at best
buy), and suddenly I don't care much about GeForce 3 cards, 1.5gb of
RAM, processors, frames per second, heat, etc...

All I've had on my mac for the last 3 years was Quake 3.

I love my G4 Cube, but I've come to the realization that gaming was
meant for consoles (except in the case of Quake 3 Arena). My Cube now
does work/internet only...and does it well at 450MHz. Games, like Jedi
Knight 2, are SMOOTH AS SILK! A constant 60fps, with much better detail!

Plus, you can get consoles shaped like cubes (and in different
colors...purple, black, and platnium)....with PowerPC and ATi chips
even!!

Nintendos Game Cube is almost worthy of Apple's logo....considering
it's biggest competitors are sony and microsoft even  ;)

jesse

.