[CUBE] Card reader

Christian Leue Christian.Leue at web.de
Mon Dec 23 10:06:37 PST 2002

Ok, the Hama card reader
<http://www.imaging-resource.com/EVENTS/PKNA02/1033017550.html> arrived
today already. It does look neat and it works fine. It has the size and
shape of a small beer can. And it matches the Cube and Cinema Display
very well. The acrylic is slightly purplish when looking from the top,
but from a normal angle you don't notice. First project will be to open
it to remove the "Hama" label, which is really placed to prominently.
Then I will try to reverse the color of the idle and activity LEDs so
that it glows blue when asleep and yellow when working, because one of
these days I want to duplicate the "blue cube" project discussed here a
while ago (wonder if I can turn the throbbing sleep lights on the
Studio Display and the Cube blue, too).

The USB ports look out directly to the right and left sides at 180
degree angles, so you can't hide any cables you want to plug in there.
That's too bad. I would have preferred the sockets to be at the bottom,
like on the Cube.

If you are already happy with your current solution for transferring
images from your camera, there is probably no reason to buy it. The
unpowered USB ports are interesting for "on demand" connections, but
for permanent connections you will probably want to hide cables and
equipment under the desk. If Hama were to reduce the price to 30 Euros,
however, I think everybody should get one just because they look so
cool.

Cheers,
Christian

PS: beware if you have small kids, because the card slots on the top do
make it look strikingly similar to a piggy bank, inviting to stuff
alien objects in it...