[CUBE] Cube overheats

Rick Rodman richard.rodman at verizon.net
Mon Nov 25 19:38:21 PST 2002

I recommend a fan.  You can get the Panaflo model which is extremely
quiet.  I have a noisy peecee case fan which I haven't bothered to
replace because I'm  hard of hearing.  48C is very hot.  Make sure you
have plenty of open space around the cube and the "muffler".

One thing a couple of folks have done is use the Kensington Fly Fan,
which plugs into a USB port.  They snake this around and point it down
into the opening on the top of the box.  You could try any little fan
which is quiet and blow air under the box, just to see if that makes it
more stable.  If it does, you've found your problem.

It may not be overheating which causes your crash, however.  There are
other possiblities.  For example, some of the early cubes didn't have a
bracket at the end of the video card which braced what is called the
"DC-DC board".  If you pull your core and turn it around, handle up,
look at the video card, at the corner away from the connectors, there
is (on mine) an aluminum brace which holds wraps around the end of a
wide, short board perpendicular to it.  If you don't have the brace,
that board can walk loose and cause crashes.

The term "crash" is a rather loose term, actually.  Do you get mouse
freeze?  Screen going blank?  Sudden shutdown (power off)? Blocky
pixels overwriting the screen?  Sad mac with hex numbers?  Blue screen
of death?  Kernel panic?  Are you running mac os 9 or mac os X?

Some of the old macs played a sound of a car crash - I've never heard
it and I'd like to someday, if someone knows how to produce it
intentionally.

On http://www.cubeowner.com there is a FAQ with lots of helpful
information.