80GB drives?

Steffen Barabasch TheMirror at westend.com
Tue Nov 26 14:10:46 PST 2002

>a friend of mine have had some problem with a 80bg drive in his Yikes G4
>, the G4 cant initialise more than 32 GB of it.
>It seem like a lot of people have had this problem and it looks like it's
>a ATA firmware thingy.

This is actually a problem of some PC BIOSes, and reducing the
capacity of the drive to 32 GB is a workaround for that. The drive
should have a jumper to switch cripple-to-32GB-mode on and off.
Switch to off and it should work. I just put my new Barracuda ATA V
60GB in my Cube after I got it back from repair and it worked
perfectly.

And make sure your drive is set to Master, not Slave, and not Cable Select.

Steffen
--
Steffen Barabasch (mailto:TheMirror at westend.com)