[CUBE] Adding a hard drive

John T. Folden nedloftj at mac.com
Fri Nov 29 15:35:07 PST 2002

On Friday, November 29, 2002, at 11:02 AM, Gary Waugh wrote:

> On Friday, November 29, 2002, at 03:48 PM, Oliver Köll wrote:
>
>> And: Do you think adding a faster hard drive requires putting a fan
>> into my Cube, or is heat not an issue with hard drives?
>>
>> Cheers and thanks in advance
>
> I have a 40gb seagate 7200RPM drive in my 450 cube - it's actually
> quieter than the original drive and a lot faster. There's been no
> perceptible increase in system temps since I put it in...

I found my Cube 500 with it's original Maxtor 60 GB 7200 to be MUCH
hotter than the normal 450's with 5400 rpm drives. It would heat up the
CDRW drive to the point that CD's seemed dangerously hot. I thought
it was the CPU difference at first but didn't see how, especially with
my
500 using the newer, cooler G4 7410 - and then I noticed where the HDD
was installed right behind the CD.

I've since replaced it with a Maxtor 120 GB 7200...it's so much quieter
than the old drive that I was quite astonished.  I can't really tell if
it's
cooler or not, though, because I have a makeshift external fan below
my cube.

John