Waiting (hoping) for a slotloading Superdrive for my Cube

J.C. Webber III jcw at kingoblio.com
Fri Apr 18 07:33:24 PDT 2003

JasonOpat wrote:
> today announced a comprehensive lineup of internal DVD recordable upgrades
> for the Mac on the market today, including upgrades for the Power Mac G4,
> Power Mac G4 Cube, PowerBook G4, Power Mac G3, PowerBook G3
> (FireWire/Bronze), iBook (Dual USB), iMac (Flat-Panel), iMac (Slot-Loading),
> and iMac (Rev. A-D).
>
> The new MCE DVD-R upgrades for G4-based systems are compatible with Apple's
> DVD Studio Pro, iTunes 3, Finder Burning and with iDVD 3 (unofficially). MCE
> DVD-R upgrades for G3-based Macs are compatible with iTunes and Finder
> Burning and also ship with a basic Mac-compatible DVD authoring software for
> the creation of Video DVDs as well as Video CDs (VCDs). (The DVD authoring
> software is currently compatible with Mac OS 9 only, however users will
> receive a voucher for a free upgrade to the Mac OS X version of the DVD
> authoring software slated for release by the end of April.) In addition, all
> models ship with Roxio¹s Toast Lite to facilitate the creation of data DVDs.
> Prices range from $280 to $450 depending on model.

So far, I'm pretty dissapointed in the drive.  I've burnt two DVD 'coasters'
already (CD-Rs are ok, thought).

The two I've done have only worked marginally.  Even if the drive I put
them in (comsumer electonics DVD players, iBook, Playstation) are able
to recognize the disks, none of them are able to play them without
errors (hangs, jumpy audio tracks).  This is true even if I try playing
them back in the SuperDrive itself.

Maybe it's the media I'm using?  I bought 2X DVDs from Apple.  Should
I expect any better results from the 4X disks?

--
J.C. Webber III
Technical Lead, Unix System Administrator