OT: pismo vs. ibook

Tom Spielman tomspielman at mac.com
Sat Aug 9 12:35:44 PDT 2003

Here's a somewhat dated link that may help.

http://www.insanely-great.com/features/020215.html

It doesn't address the newer iBook models, but I think it'll give you
an idea of what the pros and cons are.

Keep in mind too that the video cards in the newer iBooks support
Quartz Extreme and there's a hack that lets you span displays on some
models.

There's been quite a few incarnations of the iBook and you don't say
which one you're considering, but one of the only departments that a
new iBook doesn't trash a pismo in is expandability.

iBooks are faster (and has an improved firewire port)
They are lighter and smaller
The screens are better
They are more durable
Inexpensive DVD/CDRW option

Also be aware that buying a used laptop is more risky than buying a
used desktop.  Laptops get bounced around a lot more and even if well
taken care of their batteries deteriorate over time.

I have a 600 mhz ibook with a 100 mhz bus.   It's faster than a stock
450 mhz cube for most things. It's probably the best computer purchase
I've ever made.

Like I said, if expandability is important, get the pismo.  I wouldn't
worry about upgradeability too much. It's usually cheaper to sell the
existing computer and get a newer model than to do significant upgrades
to an existing one.  The only computer I'll spend much money on
upgrades for is the cube, -and only because it's so unique.

If you really want a G4 in a laptop for cheap, why not just get a used
TiBook?