Digital video

Eagle eagle243 at mac.com
Mon Dec 1 10:15:20 PST 2003

Greetings, all.

Over the weekend I went to a day-after-Thanksgiving sale at Best Buy
and purchased a MiniDV camera.  (For the curious, I picked up a Canon
ZR60 for ~$275 after rebate.)  Anyway, I don't have an internal DVD-R,
but I do have a Firewire CDRW drive and am interested in burning some
of my videos to VCD.

Anybody else doing something similar?  If so, what tools do you use?
So far I have been using iMovie to import my video and to edit the
movie.  Then I have been using ffmpegX to convert to MPEG, then VCD
Builder to create a VCD with menus.  Finally I use MissingMediaBurner
to burn my disk images to VCDs.  This is a hassle, because I have to
deal with many applications, and because I have to reconfigure ffmpegX
every time I start it - it doesn't remember its settings.

I would much rather use a single application for everything, so I tried
out iVCD.  iVCD is very nice, and makes converting my videos and
preparing the VCD image single click operations.  Fortunately it
supports my LaCie CDRW drive, but unfortunately it doesn't support
menus.

I guess I could use iVCD to convert the movies with one click, then VCD
Builder to create my menu systems, but then I still have to use
MissingMediaBurner to create the disk itself.

I wondered what others are doing.

Curiously,

Eagle

PS - I used to be a total Unix geek.  Now I'm turning into a "make it
easy!" Mac user more & more every day. :)