[CUBE] Cube with custom case ends at $1312.87

Laurie A Duncan laurie at cubeowner.com
Mon Feb 10 18:35:44 PST 2003

On 2/10/03 9:22 PM, richard.rodman at verizon.net typeth:

> It's irritating and unfair from the seller's standpoint, however.  What
> happens is you hope to get $50 for an item, but 10 bidders wait for the
> last minute and all place bids at once.  One wins at $5; the others are
> outbid and all you get is $5, even though there were 10 bidders.  As a
> frequent seller, I definitely consider sniping "slimy".  I've suggested
> many times to eBay that the auction should automatically be extended on
> any winning bid - LIKE A REAL AUCTION - and of course they have ignored
> it, because that would be too hard to program.  After all, one can't
> expect people making millions of dollars from a system to implement any
> improvements.

If the seller wants a certain price, they can set a reserve or a fair
minimum starting bid. Otherwise, it's a bidders market and the bidders call
the shots.  I'm an active seller myself and I post everything with a
starting bid close to what I believe is a fair price (or maybe just what I
want to get for it, which may not always be fair). I don't use reserves, but
if expect $100 for something, I set the minimum bid at $75 and the "buy it
now" price at $125 - or close to it. That way, I have a decent chance of
getting close to or more than I wanted to get. The system works well for me.
I may "lose" a few bucks on one auction, but then the next auction I may get
more than I had hoped for and it all evens out in the end.

Laurie
--
AOL IM/iChat: cubeownernyc
http://www.cubeowner.com