[CUBE] Advice

Michael McPherson mcph at mac.com
Wed Feb 12 11:10:35 PST 2003

> Sounds Like the new imac G4 would be perfect for you.

If they have the money to afford one, I'd be inclined to agree.

> Basically CUBE owners love their machines for aesthetic reasons-clean,
> quiet and powerful
>
> But I think the G4 imac has eclipsed the CUBE for the basic user in
> terms of simplicity of design

Well,  if you already have a good monitor, you're paying for something
you don't need (though you may want it anyway).  Also,  the cube's are
still a bit more expandable than the imac.  If you are talking about
spending $2000, you can get a cube, a geforce3, a bigger hard drive,
1.5 Gig ram, and a 1.2 GHz processor upgrade for your ram.  Personally
I think the screen on the 15 inch imac is a little small, and it's
specs are mediocre in comparison to the 17 inch model.

> emac is just the old imac with G4 processor and the flat CRT screen

It has a much larger, and better screen than the old imac.  My friend
has one and it is a very nice little box.  It's also significantly
cheaper.  Since the original poster mentioned cost as a major factor, I
wouldn't be so dismissive of the emac.  Especially since it would be
replacing an 8 year old machine.  I think it's a really good choice for
a lot of people.

> I can't think of a reason not too for basic home use.
>
> Unless you were looking at the old imac-kinda boring now just to save
> a few $$$

That's a possibility.  It would certainly be a lot better than his
current machine.  But for just a few hundred dollars more the upgrade
to the emac would give a significant advantage.  Unless cost were
absolutely prohibitive, i'd say the emac is definitely worth the extra
$ over the old crt imacs.

> Consider the ibook?

This is a very good option to consider.  They are cheap, and they are
fantastic little machines.  Plus you can plug in a usb keyboard/mouse
and an external monitor and you have a super little desktop as well.