Which upgrade for video editing?

Meirion Roscoe roscoe at macunlimited.net
Sun Feb 23 13:45:00 PST 2003

I recently bought my cube, after selling my imac, because it is a
stunning piece of beautiful engineering.  I could have bought a new
iMac with a superdrive and solved all my Pioneer dvr105 'inside outside
hack' issues - but it wouldn't be the same. I've always wanted a cube
and will probably always have one.

My problem is though, that most of my work on it, is video and photo
editing.  As I am of meagre means (and obviously devoid of computer
knowledge) I can't afford every upgrade on the market.  So where do I
start?  My cube is a 450 with DVD and 20gig HD.  It has 1Mb of RAM and
not much else.  More RAM I can probably afford, but which upgrade is
going to help me cut down the time iMovie spends chuntering away
exporting stuff?  A new CPU or a fancy Video card?  And whichever one
it is - how far down the line do I need to go.  The DVD on the
umbiblical sounds great if it will work with IDVD3, but do I need more
muscle to get it to work efficiently.

Thanks in advance for even reading this!

Rossi