[CUBE] Chimney in stead of a fan?

Joost van de Griek joost at jvdg.net
Mon Jan 13 08:35:50 PST 2003

On 2003-01-13 16:52, "Comerceway at aol.com" <Comerceway at aol.com> wrote:

>> Has anyone tried with a chimney?
>>
>> I remember, in the good ol' days of the MacPlus and before, there was a
>> company that offered a chimney to mount on top of the Mac.
>>
>> The idea was to SILENTLY cool the computer with the airflow coming from from
>> a tall pipe attached to the cooling-grill on top of the computer. This should
>> create a stream of ascending (warm) air that would drive the whole thing.
>>
>> It looked silly (it was quite tall), but I'd gladly pay that price for
>> silence1
>
> That's a great idea. I think that Apple designed the Cube around that very
> principle - convection cooling.

... Is the right answer.

No need for chimneys or anything, the cube is convection-cooled as-is, by
design.

> How much more could be gained by an extended chimney sounds like a question
> for the thermodynamicly trained among us. (sorry I dropped out of engineering
> and went into business). Perhaps a 3 Mile island cooling tower style
> plexiglass chimney would do the trick!

I doubt it. I think you'd want to watch out and carefully consider what
you're going to do before messing with the Cube's convection cooling system.
Rest assured that the people that designed the Cube and it's cooling system
know a whole lot more about it that most people on this list.

,xtG
.tsooJ
--
Joost van de Griek