[CUBE] G5 CUBE

Joost van de Griek joost at jvdg.net
Tue Jun 24 07:29:49 PDT 2003

On 2003-06-24 15:04, Riba wrote:

> On Tuesday, June 24, 2003, at 02:13 PM, Joost van de Griek wrote:
>
>> On 2003-06-24 14:02, Rob In der Maur wrote:
>>
>>> 9 fans (and still counting... :)).
>>
>> Most of which are used to cool the power supply, PCI cards and
>> drives...
>
> No matter what, those fans are bound to make screeching noises in a
> year or two when the bearings give in. I hope they are standard
> replacements.

Very likely. Maybe an oddball-sized fan here or there (re: Power Mac G4
Cube...), but probably no custom-built jobbies.

Anyway, my point is, many people point to the nine fans of the Power Mac G5
and say, "see? Needs nine fans. Can't put a CPU like that in a Cube (or
PowerBook)."

But there's more to it than that. I'm willing to bet that Apple could have
cooled the entire machine with a single fan. But it would have been noisy as
hell. There are reasons Apple's hardware is costlier than your generic PC
box, and the intricate cooling design of the PowerMac G5 is one of them. By
using separate cooling systems for the mass storage, PCI expansion, CPU and
PSU, each component can get the cooling it needs at any given time, instead
of a fewer fans having to cool the entire box just because a hard drive is
working hard and heating up.

,xtG
.tsooJ
--
If a mute swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?