[CUBE] Apple Purchase Program was Apple's Profitability

Hal kastegir at mac.com
Fri Mar 14 09:58:16 PST 2003

ApplePurchaseProgram is a Ponzi scheme. There's a whole thread about it
on FatWallet.com. For those unfamiliar with it, this is how it works:

They advertise a really great deal, and a few people sign up. They use
some of the money they collect to make good on a few of the initial
deals. Word of mouth spreads, and more people sign up. They use a bit
of that money to make good on a few more deals and pocket the rest.
Word keeps spreading from people that got the product, so more people
keep signing up. They tell people it will be a while to get the
product,. so they have time to collect a bunch of money.

People that don't get the product are told to keep waiting, that the
company is "working on it" and they get offered a small discount (like
2-3% off)  or something to keep waiting. When the company has pocketed
enough money, they shut down the company and go bankrupt. They claim
that they couldn't get enough volume going to make it successful. About
60-80% of the people never get their product.

There was a similar program running under the name of JC Morris about a
year ago. I know because I bought an iBook through it. I got the (at
the time) top of the line iBook for $930. It was retailing for $1499 at
the tim I ordered,and I got it in about 3 months. I had to keep
badgering them and I almost didn't get it. 2 months later, they filed
for bankruptcy. I know about the scheme because a friend of mine (the
one who told me about it) got his first product (a dual 1gHz tower with
a cinema display) and ordered 5 more. He never got them and had to have
the case handled by CitiBank's fraud division. They kept telling him to
wait and even sent him a free iPod to keep him from canceling his
order. In the end was out about $12,000. Citibank refunded him about
$9000, but because his order was over 90 days old, they couldn't refund
part of it. There's a thread about JC Morris on Fatwallet.com as well.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought I'd shed some light on it since
I have some direct experience.

cheers,
-Hal