[CUBE] Cube rumors

macjedi at mac.com macjedi at mac.com
Mon May 19 08:53:05 PDT 2003

On 5/19/03 at 8:13 AM, mentholiptus at mac.com (mentholiptus) did send into the
ether:

> "the new Mac will be built in one limited edition production run
> (quantity presently unknown)"
>

> I'm saving up for this one as of right now. If there's a limited number
> of them, I'm getting one the day it's released!
>
> Imagine a
>
> 1.6GHz PPC 970
> 3gb DDR max
> 120gb HD
> SuperDrive
> FireWire 800
> AirPort extreme
> Built-in Bluetooth
> Gigabit ethernet
> Radeon 9xxx

If Apple is shopping bids for the plastics now, that means they've likely got
mobo prototypes running in the labs. I seriously doubt, unfortunately, that the
debut of the 970 is going to be in a limited-edition, limited-customer model.

I would believe realistically that this rumored, revamped Cube would contain a
1.4 GHz current G4, with 2 GB DDR max. All of Jesse's other specs are currently
shipping and could easily be included, as they are on the latest PowerBooks and
tower G4s.

> What do you think...$2000?

If it's at that price point, I'd snatch one up, too, but I believe Michael's
prediction of a higher mark-up will ring true.

> And if it doesn't happen, I'll just buy a laptop. :)

I'm awaiting rev 2 of the 12" PowerBook G4, with a 1 GHz proc, L3 cache, FW 800,
and higher vid graphics. Backlit keyboard would be nice, too.

chris