[CUBE] To fan or not to fan, that is the question

Hal kastegir at mac.com
Sat Sep 6 16:46:29 PDT 2003

On Saturday, September 6, 2003, at 03:29 PM, mentholiptus wrote:

> On Saturday, September 6, 2003, at 02:05  PM, Gregory P. Perez wrote:
>
>> Anyone here running a Powerlogix 800MHz upgraded cube without a fan?
>

> You *MIGHT* be safe running the fan at 7v. It's up to you to do the
> research and make the decision though. I'm running my 450, 1.5gb,
> 80gb, radeon 7500 setup with a 7v fan in the bottom with an average
> temp of 90 degrees fahrenheit. Maybe the 800 would stay below 110
> degrees?

I'm running a Shicoh fan at 7v in my Cube, have been for almost 2
years. Current config: 500mHz CPU (original), 1GB RAM, 100GB WD SE
drive, Airport, Radeon 7500 (without bottom fence). I have also run it
with a GF3 instead of the Radeon. I ran it for about 3 weeks with a PL
800mHz G4 upgrade and the GF3 with the same fan running at 7v without
any problems. Even when playing extended bouts of UT2003.

YMMV.

-Hal