[CUBE] 2mx heat

atoa at krak.net atoa at krak.net
Fri Apr 9 09:17:15 PDT 2004

Sorry, I guess I should have known, from your original post, that English
is not a language you are fluent in.

"Umm, say again?" is a somewhat slangy way to say: I'm sorry, but I
didn't understand what you said. Could you look at what you said and try to
rephrase it in a more understandable way? Perhaps you didn't really mean
what you attempted to say, too.

It is not meant to be taken literally.

The reason I said it was that the sentence didn't make much sense to me.
You said: A few listers have had luck, so you should be okay.

a) "Luck" isn't sufficiently specific. I surmise, from what
follows, that you meant "good luck". But, except in cases like "you're in
luck", luck could mean bad or good, as opposed to "lucky", which normally
means "having good luck".

b) Logically, your statement is similar to saying "A few people have won
the lottery, so you should, too." Or perhaps better, "A few people have
survived fevers with temperatures over 112 degrees, so you should be ok."
Admittedly, more people play the lottery than are on this list, but the
fact that a "few" haven't yet burned up their cards is hardly an
indication that "you should be okay".

  To the original poster:

>From what I've seen, the GeForce3 is a gamble in a Cube. It was not
designed for the Cube, and the Cube wasn't designed for it. It was not
offered as an option by Apple in a Cube.

Is it worth $350? Apparently so, if ebay prices can be taken as a guide.
Would I pay $350 for a replacement for the one that burned up in my Cube?
Not on your life, especially since I have a GeForce2 in it now, and don't
see any significant performance degradation. And if I win the lottery, and
have more money than I know what to do with, and decide to put up with the
noise, I _might_ put a GeForce3 back in, but only with an aftermarket fan
on both the card and the Cube itself.