[CUBE] Brightness-control

Leif Joel Örell lejo at mac.com
Tue Apr 13 16:34:02 PDT 2004

Sorry about the misspelling of Brightness ( I am dyslectic ).

The brightness control from version tracker really works like a charm,
thank you.

The point thou is what is wrong with either my monitor or the
graphic-card or Cube since I have 1/2 a year left of my Apple Care.
I thought that it might be some connection problem so I turned off the
Cube and unplugged the monitor and then I had the brightness control
back for a while, now it is gone again. Might be some kind of
connection or initialization problem.

Joel

2004-04-12 kl. 18.39 skrev Steve Goldstein:

> http://versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17670
>
> Freeware.  Works like a charm!  --Steve

I also got this from Brett:

Joel,

I am posting this off list in order to keep my email address private
and avoid getting spammed.

The Mac is supposed to add the brightness control slider to the screen
preference panel when it "recognizes" a monitor which supports software
controlled brightness.

I run an original 22" Cinema Display with my Cube. I developed a
similar problem a few months ago just before I upgraded from Jaguar to
Panther (which did not fix the problem).

At first, rebooting would restore the brightness control.  After a few
hours of use I would discover that the brightness control had stopped
working or gone away.  Now even rebooting doesn't help.  Sometimes the
control is there, but it doesn't work. The slider is at the max
position even though the actual brightness is not maxed out.  I can
drag the slider to the left, but it always snaps back the max position.
  Likewise, the F14 and F15 keys no longer control brightness.  At least
the monitor's own brightness controls (which are actual buttons and not
touch switches) still function, but I miss the convenience of function
key control.

The Genius at the local Apple store was unhelpful, as was AppleCare
telephone support.  They had me reset the nonvolatile RAM (PRAM), and
log in as a different user, which made no difference.

I may just live with it until OS-X 10.4 is released, at which time I'll
do an archive and install.

The fact that your monitor's own controls don't work suggests that
perhaps the monitor is at fault. You might want to try your monitor
with a different Mac to confirm this.

If I learn more I'll share it with you.

-----
News Flash!

Writing this response got me thinking.  If the Mac senses the type of
monitor and provides brightness control accordingly, maybe I could fool
it into reinitializing itself by disconnecting and reconnecting the
monitor.  So I shut down, disconnected and then reconnected the monitor
cable.  The Cube's power light blinked once which surprised me.  I then
booted up, and for the first time in months, I again have functioning
brightness!  Only time will tell if it will stay fixed.

My computer has always been under constant power. I suspect that
shutting down and then unplugging the Cube's power cord for a few
minutes would have had the same effect of causing some low level
monitor initialization to occur.

It couldn't hurt to try this.

It it works, and you want to post the suggestion back to the list,
please keep my address private.

Good luck.

--Brett