[CUBE] Cube upgrades...

Benjamin Ing vbing at mac.com
Mon Apr 19 13:10:46 PDT 2004

On Apr 19, 2004, at 9:54 AM, Michael Swale wrote:

> There is also a WD 7200RPM 8mb hard drive waiting, what was the stock
> one? A
> 5400rpm 2mb? I'm just wondering if this will really be a upgrade, or
> just
> more HD space.

Mostly just more HD space. Rotational speed of the hard drive doesn't
really seem to do much to increase the speed of access, and there is
quite a bit of discussion as to the merits of a 2MB cache and an 8MB
cache (with most everyday tasks a bigger cache may help since you
continually access the same files, but with video, it may not have much
effect on throughput since you tend to output more continuous streams).
The biggest issue is that the 7200 RPM drives may run hotter and may be
a little noisier since they spin faster.

oth, since I can't afford to be picky and was looking for a big drive,
I went with an 8MB cache 7200 RPM drive and am pretty happy about with
it.