Cube & Quartz

Gary gary at santamariamug.com
Tue Mar 16 19:56:57 PST 2004

On Mar 16, 2004, at 1:40 AM, Cube List wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> Anybody using one of the low power processor upgrades without having
> upgraded the video card? I'm still running all original equipment
> (except for the HD) and want a boost for the leap to OSX. I don't do
> a lot of heavy graphics, so was hoping to avoid the video upgrade for
> now and still get a boost, albeit without benefit of Quartz....
>
> Cheers,
>
> Erik

I have a stock Cube in terms of the Video Card.  I've upgraded the RAM
to 1.5 GIG, and the HD to a 60 GIG.  I'm running Panther on it.  It
does very, very well (450 G4 CPU).  The only time I notice a problem
with the Video is if I attempt a newer game that demands a lot of the
video card.

If you are not into games etc, go for it.  For the most part you won't
really see any difference.  Having said that, I've a ATI Radion 32 MB
Video Card on it's way (eBay).  This card will add the extra 16 MEG of
VRam & invoke the Quartz Extreme.  I'll let you know what happens.

Gary