Cubes for sale

Joel Pelletier joelp at joelp.com
Sun Mar 21 14:05:05 PST 2004

With much thanks to the Cube list and its members, the time has come
for me to be a FORMER Apple Cube owner. A number of reasons,
including Firewire 800 and G5 speed requirements on some soon-to-be
released audio hardware, Final Cut 4.0 bus/memory speed usage, and
Powerlogix's Robert Jagitsch's lack of honesty and communication (see
my next posting), I find myself the owner of a new (albiet noisy)
Dual 2.0 G5, and am selling two (2) Apple Cube systems. I offer them
to my fellow Cubists (before I go to eBay).

CUBE SYSTEM ONE FOR SALE
The first system I have for sale is my main workhorse, loaded with
every improvement and option available (except a CPU upgrade - see
below). This system, which I purchased used almost 3 years ago,
consists of:
-450 CPU
-1.5 GB RAM
-120 GB Seagate Barracuda V Ultra ATA hard drive (7200, 2MB cache).
This was/is the FASTEST and QUIETEST ATA drive on the market; my
research showed that, for the everyday System/main drive, a 2MB drive
is more efficient than the 8MB cache model (which is more appropriate
for a second, external drive for LARGE video and audio files, and can
get a bit hotter because of the extra cache memory).
-Stock Rage 128 16MB video card (Quartz Extreme does run on this card
on the latest operating system versions)
-Stock Apple DVD/CD-ROM
-Newer Apple Pro Keyboard (identical to stock keyboard, replaced less
than a year ago)
-Original Apple Pro Mouse
-Original Apple Pro USB (round ball) Harman Kardon Speakers
-Internal 56 Modem
-Original power supply

-BRAND NEW (Feb 2004) Apple 17" Flat Panel LCD Studio Display WITH 3
YEARS Apple Care Warranty (fully transferrable to the new owner)

-Apple Airport Card
-Griffin iMic (for analog in and out audio ports)
-Griffin CubePort (serial/printer port that replaces the modem; I
used it for printing and MIDI, but have removed it and put back the
original modem. I will include it in the system, and will install it
and send along the modem if requested).
-80mm fan with power supply/wall wart (on small feet made of screws,
with resistor to run at a SILENT 5 volts, placed under the Cube at
all times for extra cooling). In the current configuration the use of
the fan is optional, but recommended.

The drive has been wiped clean (zero all data), and loaded with clean
10.2.8 and 9.2.2 operating systems

Condition
This has been my daily system for almost 3 years (running a Cinema
Screen, which I am keeping). It is a wonderful and FAST machine in
9.2.2, and has supported all my work, including graphics, web, audio
and video. At one point I have installed 2 different GeForce3 video
cards in this computer, which did speed up redraws, etc. but both had
noisy fans, and both burned up in less than 8 months each, so I went
back to the stock Rage 128 card and have had no complaints. There are
a few small dings/scratches on the case (it is NOT a NEW COMPUTER),
but I have thoroughly cleaned and polished the computer internals,
the case and all the clear lucite parts (including the mouse,
speakers and keyboard).

This system is in 100% perfect condition (I have run the Hardware
Test disc to confirm) EXCEPT:
Only one (1) firewire port functions. I had a bad external firewire
drive case with a defective bridge, and it made the firewire jack
smoke before I noticed, unplugged and discarded the external case. My
guess is that the heat melted a solder connection to the firewire
jack itself (which could be repaired?). The second firewire port
works fine, and since firewire devices can be daisy-chained and/or an
external hub can be used, I never worried about it (not wanting to do
possible harm to the logic board, which functions flawlessly).

The other issue with this system is the DVD/CD drive. It is having
problems ejecting discs fully, and if the ejected disc is not grabbed
of fished out with pliers, it takes it back and remounts it on the
desktop. I emailed the list about this issue last week, and it was
suggested that I clean the roller, which I did, to no effect. I
suspect it is the belt on the roller, which seems loose, and I am
going to replace it today. The drive itself functions 100%.

This is a PERFECT system for a Cube lister (or Cube lost lurker), and
ideal for anyone who wants to take the next step to the ultimate
system, installing a CPU upgrade and a DVD-R drive (the Titanium
Powerbook SuperDrive). You can't get a better hard drive and any more
RAM, includes all of the useful peripherals, and the monitor is MINT
and BRAND NEW.

Price
The recent and rather disturbing eBay trend of selling off all of the
Cube parts, netting sometimes more $$ than selling the Cube itself,
is something I want no part of. I also understand that there are many
overseas (outside of the US) Cube fans/users that are having a hard
or impossible time getting reasonably-prices systems. Based on the
last month of eBay Cube and Apple LCD sales, the computer is worth at
least $900-1200 with the extra RAM, hard drive upgrade and extra
peripherals, and the monitor, which sells at the Apple Store with
only a 1-year warranty for $699, is worth at least $650. I am
offering the complete system to Cube listers for $1600 US plus ACTUAL
shipping, and I WILL ship overseas (any extra international
fees/taxes the responsibility of the buyer). I will sell the computer
with all peripherals, but WITHOUT the monitor, for $1050, and the 17"
LCD by itself for $650. I have none of  the original boxes, but an
original Cube restore CD and a copy of the Apple Hardware Test disc
will be included with the system. I can take Paypal, and have almost
800 feedbacks on eBay (user joelp2).

Do the math, and save yourself the $$ of buying more memory, a bigger
hard drive, an Airport card and the extras to a less expensive system
from a less experienced Cube user. Interested buyers please email
off-list.

CUBE SYSTEM TWO FOR SALE
Last month I picked up a TOTALLY VIRGIN, virtually unused complete
and ALL ORIGINAL 450 Cube system. The owner, a business acquaintance,
paid almost $3000 for this 450 Cube with 64mb RAM, 20GB HD, keyboard,
mouse, USB Pro speakers and 17" clear-case CRT (tube) monitor in
2000, then almost immediately burned out the CPU (obviously
defective). I don't know why she did not call Apple and get it taken
care of immediately, but it sat for quite a while in the corner of
her room (the monitor propped open a door for 2 years). By the time
she took it to a service center it was out of warranty, and she was
quoted about $700 to repair. After crying to me about it for the last
3 years, she agreed to sell it to me, and I have a 450 CPU coming in
the next day or so. Once replaced, I will thoroughly test the system
to confirm that it is as clean and (other than the CPU) as flawless
as claimed. This complete system will be available for $1000 US plus
actual shipping (I will not split it up, and sorry, no original
boxes). I will not sell unless/until it is tested and working! Please
email off-list; photos of both systems available for serious buyers.

Thanks again, and I will continue to read the Cube list postings once
my systems are sold - it's been full of useful Apple info!

Joel Pelletier
http://www.joelp.com
Van Nuys, CA