[Cube] Cube as DVR

Allan Hise allan at hise.org
Thu Nov 11 06:42:08 PST 2004

I just moved from the US to Germany, and I have decided that buying a
device like the El Gato Eye TV and watching TV on the cube would be a good
thing until I can afford to buy the TV I really want.

Since I am not super familiar with the German 6 European TV situation, I
am looking for some advice from the European list members. And I know this
gets slightly off-topic, because the 1st paragraph is the only mention of
my cube I'll make (oh, excpet here).

First of all, the apartment I am in the process of moving into has cable
TV outlets built-in all the rooms, and I was told (remember my German
isn't the best) that cable TV is included in the rent and that no external
box is needed. Based on this, I assume I need the EyeTV 200, which works
with PAL signals and has a built-in tuner, for antenna or analog cable.

But I wonder, what are the chances that it is digital terrestrial TV,
which requires a different Eye TV model (the 300, I think). I'm not
allowed to put up a sattellite dish, so I assume it isn't satellite.

My question, I guess is simple. How widespread is digital terrestrial TV?
Would you take the chance that this is what is coming into my walls if you
were buying one? Even if it isn't, should I assume that it is the wave of
the future and get one anyway, relying on an antenna if I have to?

Does anyone have any good web sites that detail what areas of Germany the
digital terrestrial I can (theoretically) get based on my area?

Thanks,

Allan