[Cube] OS 10.3.7 peripheral "alert"

Steve Goldstein sng at cox.net
Mon Jan 3 11:01:43 PST 2005

My wife uses the family Cube (I had to switch to a G4 Quicksilver
when my cube was, according to Apple, beyond further repair).
Anyway, we had both upgraded to OS 10.3.7 a week or so ago, and
everything seemed fine.  But, in the past few days, two things went
wrong on the Cube:

(1) I could not install a new wireless hp Deskjet 5850 printer on the
Cube (even though I had no trouble whatever installing it on the
Quicksilver), and

(2) her Epson Perfection 3170 scanner stopped scanning in the middle
of a scan (after already having scanned several photos), and we were
ready to send it in for repair before investing in a 1-hour long
distance call to Epson Customer Service (which, BTW, was
top-notch--BRAVO, Epson!).

***Both*** turned out to be matters needing ***software/driver
updates*** to cope with 10.3.  But, golly-gee McGee <stronger
expletive deleted!>, all had been fine with 103.x, where x<7.  After
retrieving and installing  the latest updates from the appropriate
web sites (Epson scanners also use newsoft.com, BTW), all is again
working fine.  Both the new hp Deskjet 5850 printer and the Epson
scanner are happily purring away on the Cube.  [And, as an aside, I
have to say that the wireless networked hp printer is a little gem.
It discounts in the US for about $150, but I got a brand new one
through the "New and Used" section of Amazon for US$108 + postage and
handling, or US$119, total. -- Highly recommended.]

So, word of warning: if you are having trouble with peripherals after
having installed OS 10.3.7 on your Cube, consider updating the driver
software.

--Steve