[Cube] impatience or bring back dos

George Pepper pep27 at mac.com
Sat Jun 18 07:45:52 PDT 2005

Exactly.  If you are a highly motivated and driven individual, then by the time you get to be my age (47), you are pretty choosy about what you are and are not willing to spend time on.  I'll spend two years polishing up a piece of music I wrote, but if a computer program is not adding to my productivity factor within ten minutes, I will not waste another second on it (And I refuse to waste any time on relationships according to my ex-wife, but, whatever ;^)).  That's entirely arbitrary in one sense, but relates to my attention span before frustration sets in in another sense: As soon as a computer program becomes frustrating, I drag it to the trash and remove it from my computer.  I don't need a computer program to force me to learn stuff, I need it to allow me to accomplish stuff.

I don't doubt but that you know what you are talking about with TextEdit vs. Word, but MY TextEdit duplicates the font I copy using the copy/paste function right down to and including color and HTML stuff, and MY Word imposes it's own font on everything I copy right down to and including the color Word "choses", and MY Word does not copy HTML (Probably a setup thing, but I'm not going to waste any time with it: TextEdit works, Word does not and that's all I need to know).  The reason I can't get Word to behave in an ASCII fashion is because I REALLY don't know what ASCII is (I don't even remember what ASCII stands for) and Word won't tell me.  All I know is that there isn't a font in the list called ASCII or labelled ASCII, and the Help function doesn't "help", so Word will not allow me to do what I want to do with it.  So, I stopped using it and only use TextEdit now.  Simple, really.

The main problem with the vast majority of programs for people like me is that they have WAY too many features: I'd rather have a dozen small programs that only did one thing each that one big one that can do all twelve, because the "twelve-in-one" program is not going to be nearly as simple to use.

Oh, and I used to write computer programs that would generate fractal and summation series-related musical themes and such back in the day, so I can learn a program and learn TO program if I'm motivated to do it, but at this point a computer is just a tool to me and a program is just a productivity aid, and so I refuse to cut lousy programmers slack for writing sucky user interfaces with obtuse protocols.

Pep