[Cube] Re: Netgear not neatgear

Marty Bose martyb at sonic.net
Mon Sep 19 17:28:47 PDT 2005

>Helen Lowe writes:
>>>Sounds like the problem is with your internet feed, rather than your
>>>router.
>>
>>Don't think so, cos USB modem still works with the same phone cable.

If you are talking about a modem with a USB connection to your
computer, the fact that it works correctly has no bearing on the
internet connection working.  The modem works in the low frequency
range as audible signals over the standard phone connection.  It
dials a phone number, the POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service)
equipment connects the same way a voice call would, and a circuit is
established.

The internet signal to your router is in a much higher frequency
range, and has nothing to do with the audible signal other than it
comes over the same lines.  It doesn't dial a call out in any sense,
and the high speed data channel is separated from the voice channel
either as soon as it reached your CO (Central Office), or somewhere
near your house if you are on an RT (Remote Terminal).

Having personally fought with SBC for 3 months over the fact that I
had a good data signal to my RT but wasn't getting back to the CO, I
can vouch for the fact that a good voice call has nothing to do with
it.  In my case, it turned out to be a one character error in a
circuit name that SBC programmed into the RT; it just took them 3
months to figure it out, even after I told them to check it!  Yes, I
used to work in the telecommunications industry, and knew what I was
talking about!

Marty
--
A relevant signature is an oxymoron.