[Cube] Kernel panics, etc...

Dan Oetting dan_oetting at qwest.net
Tue Jan 24 20:36:31 PST 2006

On Jan 18, 2006, at 4:57 PM, Rob In der Maur wrote:

> I once more tried several times to boot from the Apple G4 Cube
> Hardware Diagnostics CD but this won't work from the MCE DVD-R
> drive that I installed in the Cube. I really don't look forward to
> replace it with the original CD-ROM drive merely just to figure out
> what's wrong.

If you have a second Mac you could put it into Firewire Target Disk
Mode and boot the Cube off of the other systems CD drive. I would not
try booting off the other system hard drive until you know the
hardware is working. Otherwise you might end up trashing the other
disk and not have any running systems.

I picked up a cheap 5.25" Firewire/USB enclosure a while back and
have used it at various times to read hard drives from failed systems
and with an installed CD drive left over after an upgrade to install
systems on original iMacs whose drive trays were used as cup holders
once too often. A spare external enclosure is one of those things I
think everyone should have available for emergencies.

-- Dan Oetting