[Cube] Cube or Mini

Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Fri Mar 3 16:59:20 PST 2006

While I agree with Scott you should get the new Core Duo mini - NOT
THE CORE SOLO, I do not think PPC based Macs will be obsolete nor
dead issues any time soon. The base is too large for Apple to turn
its back on. The idea that Steve is so insensitive to the base of PPC
Macs is really over the top. There are about a score million PPC macs
in circulation. The oldest iMac runs Panther just fine. Anything with
a Firewire port runs 10.4.5 Tiger perfectly well. I doubt Leopard
will not run on less than the base that runs Tiger.

Where the idea comes that PPC Macs are obsolete is beyond my ability
to comprehend. I just bought a PPC G5 that has 4 processors in it. It
is as fast a Mac as I could buy right now. It's top of the line. And
yet it is too slow for multitasking video processing work.

And in a year it will be slower than the bottom of the PowerMac or
Mac Pro line with a single Quad Core Intel 64-bit processor. Top of
the line will have Two Quad Core processors for a total of 8. But
more importantly, the next OS X 10.5 Leopard will manage our work
over all these processors much better than Tiger ever will.

But I just want to weigh in here that I don't see Apple turning its
back on PPC Macs for anytime over the next 10 years. I know people
who are still using OS 9 on Macs that pre-date the iMac. They are
perfectly happy Mac users. I don't think any of us PPC Mac owners are
going to feel left out when Leopard ships by January 2007. I believe
Leopard will give me an even faster Quad than I have now - and make
no mistake, it is WAY TOO SLOW. And that slowness can be
significantly attributed to the Tiger OS rather than the hardware.

There are many times when I have to wait just as long on this Quad
for something to happen as I did on the 500 MHz Cube. So it's not the
hardware that's slow. It's the OS that still needs a lot of
improvement. Which is one of the reasons I am miffed that not all Mac
owners upgrade to the next system as soon as Apple releases it. Each
increment has resulted in a significant performance improvements even
on the oldest supported systems.

Bottom line, I don't think any of us need to worry about Apple
abandoning any of us with PPC Macs. Universal code does not mean
Intel with PPC tags. It means code written to run best on both
processors. There are just too many of us, 25 MILLION for Apple to
forget about.

--
Taylor Barcroft
URL http://FutureMedia.org